Monday, November 9, 2020

That once-in-a-lifetime Safari

It's just over 2 years ago I had the absolute privilege to experience African Wildlife like never before.
Like stepping out of our lodge and slowly walking backwards and in again after having spotted a group of monkeys during what I can only guess was their morning meeting,


being hypnotised by the stripes on a Zebra,



witnessing lions do what they do best,



discovering a love of birds I didn't know I had,


and just contemplating the magnitude of life from a little boat on the Zambesi river with all these magnificent creatures around us. 


I found myself involuntarily singing tunes from Disney's Lion King in my head ... 



and just had to take a photo of myself, a bit like pinching my arm, to capture that it really was me having this experience.
















 It's a wild ride, this thing we call life.

I can't help to think about who I was back then and how far I've come in the two years since. 
Even though of course a safari is a once in a lifetime trip and something you can't possibly be on 
without feeling an enormous sense of wonder and gratitude 
(being with these animals really teaches you how to be present), 
I wasn't in a good place then. 

I wasn't living my life's purpose, I had strayed from my path ... 
and yet I wouldn't have had this experience if I hadn't thrown my own life and dreams to the side for the sake of someone else's,
so I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.


You're exactly where you need to be.

Just like I was exactly where I needed to be then and exactly where I need to be right now. 

No comments: